At Oakfield Primary School we use La Jolie Ronde and enhance our curriculum with resources from Language Angels and Salut to support teaching and learning in French. Units of work are structured on the three pillars of phonics, vocabulary and comprehension and are taught through the modalities of speaking, listening, reading and writing. This forms a sequenced and progressive curriculum for all of our pupils.
Our intent for MFL (French) is to provide pupils with opportunities to:
- develop an understanding and awareness of other cultures and languages,
- understand and respond to spoken and written language from a variety of authentic sources,
- speak with increasing confidence and spontaneity, finding ways of communicating what they want to say, including through discussions and asking questions, and continually improving the accuracy of their pronunciation and intonation,
- write at varying length, for different purposes and audiences, using the variety of grammatical structures that they have learnt,
- discover and develop an appreciation of a range of writing in the language studied.
Implementation of French:
Outlined are the school overview, progression of knowledge, long term plan and medium term plans for French at Oakfield Primary School.